Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Search Buzz Video Recap: Google Ranking Penalties Or Tweaks, Bing Crawl & Submissions & Google Cache Bug
This week we saw a lot of Google ranking complaints and I am not sure if it is an algorithm update or a penalty. Bing confirmed there was a bug with the URL submission tool because of a back log…
- Google Search Rankings Seems Unstable; More Algorithm Tweaks Or Penalties?
Over the past few days the SEO communities and forums have been in a somewhat state of stress watching their rankings and analytics fluctuate up and down. It is like Google is tweaking things in real time and the search results are very unstable.
- Cool! Google Lens Now In Google Image Search Results
Earlier this month we reported that Google Lens is coming to Google Image search. Well, it is now here for some of us. Go to mobile, search for almost anything, click on an image and you will see this lens icon under the image. Click on it and it will analyze the image, let you click on or circle parts of the image and Google will zoom into it.
- Google Provides Quicker Access To Review & Delete Search Activity
The other day, Google announced they are giving searchers easier and more direct access to review and delete their recent search history and manage their privacy controls directly from the navigation bar in the main search screen. Here is a GIF of it in action:
- Bing Gets Transparent On How They Crawl The Web
As you know, Bing on their webmaster blog, is offering a series around BingBot and how they crawl the web, they already posted two blog posts on the topic. But at SMX East this week, Frederic Dubut gave a detailed presentation around their crawler, crawl budget, crawl efficiency and more.
- Google Designs Claim This Knowledge Panel Button
Google is testing a new design for the “claim this knowledge panel” link under a knowledge panel that is eligible for verification. Before it was just a line of text, now it is a prettier and fancier button.
- Demogorgon, Stranger Things Monster, At Google
Here is a photo I found on Instagram of the Stranger Things monster, the Demogorgon, at the GooglePlex, the main Google offices in Mountain View California. It is right by the Android Pie statue, I g
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- And if you do provide feedback, make sure it’s specific and you provide queries that many users are searching for (and not lines of text copied from your site/page). Make it easy for the search engineers to see the problems. Change, Glenn Gabe on Twitter
- Vertical Video Ads must-knows Vertical video ads, which take up more space on the mobile screen, are now available for TrueView and Universal App campaigns on YouTube. Read here to grasp all the main points you need to know 😉, Google Ads on Twitter
- We’re looking at this and don’t see the same currently. We’ll look into it more. We have policies where we do remove inappropriate predictions. Using the “Report inappropriate predictions” helps us. And this post goes into dept, Danny Sullivan on Twitter
- 1/2 The New York Times story contains numerous inaccuracies about my employment at Google and wild exaggerations about my compensation. Specifically, I never coerced a woman to have sex in a hotel room. These false allegations are, Andy Rubin on Twitter
- Algorithm art fetches $432,500 at NY auction, WebmasterWorld
- Google fired 48 people for sexual harassment, WebmasterWorld
Search Engine Land Stories:
- Link building tool roundup: Site crawlers
- Google Maps ‘Follow’ button gives businesses a new way to connect with users
- Survey: 88 percent seek driving directions after a local voice search
Other Great Search Stories:
- Descriptive Versus Prescriptive Analytics And The Customer Journey, Forbes
- How to understand and USE Google Analytics reporting, Elite Blog Academy
- How to Utilise Data Analytics to Create More Effective Content, Adotas
- Log File Analysis 101 – Whiteboard Friday, Moz
Industry & Business
- Alphabet Google earnings Q3 2018, CNBC
- Google CEO memo says 48 fired for sexual misconduct, CNBC
- How do you thank someone for saving your life?, Google Blog
Links & Promotion Building
- SEO: 6 Ways to Increase Backlinks, Practical Ecommerce
Local & Maps
- Creepy images on Maps—and why they’re actually not that creepy, Google Blog
- Google Maps “Follow Posts” – a Revolution or Just More “S%t” Thrown at the Wall?, Mike Blumenthal
Mobile & Voice
- Google’s Q3: Ads Biz Becomes More Efficient For Brands, Hardware Business Takes Off, AdExchanger
- How to Create Routines for Google Home & Google Assistant, Tech Advisor
- How to enable Google Assistant on a Chromebook, XDA Developers
- Bing Tests New Featured Snippets Tabs, TL;DR SEO
- Top SEO For DuckDuckGo — Hyperlocalization Tips, Edgy Labs
- Google Assistant launches in Taiwan, can now speak Chinese (Traditional), Android Police
- Moving from integration to synchronization, Google Partners Blog
- Apple’s Radical Approach to News: Humans Over Machines, New York Times
This is a news feed, by author Barry Schwartz, the original post can be found here Daily Search Forum Recap: October 26, 2018.