Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- November 2018 Google Webmaster Report
This past month in Google webmaster and SEO news was pretty busy. We had a Halloween search algorithm update that still seems to be creeping around. We also had another few updates including Google saying they are going to make tweaks to the news algorithm. Google+ is shutting down, Google launched their Home Hub and discover feed and so much more.
- Google Search Console Stats Within Search Results To Site Owners Rolling Out
A month ago we reported Google was testing showing a stats box in the search results from your Google Search Console data. It included showing clicks, impression and average position with some tips. It seems like as of this morning, it is now rolling out to everyone – if they are logged into their Google account and have verified profiles that match queries for the site.
- Google: No Ranking Benefit In Using Separate Google Search Console & Analytics Accounts
Google’s John Mueller said there is no ranking benefit in using different Google Search Console and Google Analytics accounts for each individual web site you manage. The topic came up before, as long as you are not spamming Google – there also is no down side to using the same accounts across multiple web sites.
- Google Separates Out Addresses & Services Areas For Local Service Businesses
Last week we reported Google was dropped addresses for some local service businesses. Well, Google posted over the weekend in the Google My Business help forums that they went ahead and separated out the addresses and service areas for these local service businesses.
- Google My Business Future Opening Dates For Businesses That Did Not Open Yet
A couple months ago we reported Google was testing future open dates within Google Maps listings and Google My Business. Well, this weekend, Google officially announced it in the Google My Business Help forums. Allyson Wright, Community Manager, Google My Business, said “We’re excited to announce that Google My Business now supports businesses that haven’t yet opened to the public!”
- Google Product Experts Submit 2018 Photos
As you know, Google renamed the Google Top Contributors to Google Product Experts and this year they held their Product Experts Submit on November 1st. Here are some photos from the day.
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- Today we are so happy to welcome all Product Experts at Google PE Summit #GPES2018! Welcome and THANK YOU for your help, dedication and expertise as always! ðâ¦ https://t.co/MVOb6uKLl7, Google Webmasters on Twitter
- New link reports tool tips.. Hey @JohnMu and @rustybrick is this page empty for me or everyone …its left blank?? here is the url: https://t.co/nB8SX3Lnwmâ¦ https://t.co/mfaxguXcrz, Raman on Twitt
- Hackers Claim To Have 81,000 Users’ Private Messages From Facebook, WebmasterWorld
- Time to Rethink the Strategy of Trying to get google Organic Traffic, WebmasterWorld
- Publications actively compete and optimize to be featured snippets. That happens because they know they are huge drivers of traffic. And yes, we always consider the ecosystem, as we explicitly said earlier this year. https://t, Danny Sullivan on Twitter
- There’s no guaranteed crawling and indexing, ever.â¦, John Mueller on Twitter
Search Engine Land Stories:
- Digital work crisis — take the surveyâ¦
- Google tests multifaceted featured snippets in desktop search results
- Google to make changes to Google News to help publishers ‘find their sites’
- Google My Business rolls out feature for new businesses, updates local service area settings
- Google Search Console stats show directly in search results for site owners
Other Great Search Stories:
- Should I Hire an Analytics Agency?, Seer Interactive
- How to Read Google Analytics Data & Find Opportunities for Online Growth, Yokel Local
- Reprise achieves big productivity boost with Google Data Studio., Google
Industry & Business
- Google Urged to Scrub Personal Details From Toronto Digital City, Bloomberg
- Supporting a new contract #ForTheWeb, Google Blog
Local & Maps
Mobile & Voice
- Google Assistant vs. Alexa: Which routines are better for you?, Android Central
- Google will roll out an update to fix Pixel 3 memory issues, 9to5Google
- Encouraging SEO Research, ohgm
- How Search Engine Ranking Factors Change, Stone Temple
- Holiday PPC Strategy: 8 Steps to Drive Greater Profit This Year, Search Engine Journal
This is a news feed, by author Barry Schwartz, the original post can be found here Daily Search Forum Recap: November 5, 2018.